Inspiring quotes about family can motivate us to move forward in life despite the many struggles we face. It’s a heartwarming way to value the importance of family. Many of these inspirational family quotes come from famous people from different walks of life. Here’s a collection of beautiful and thought-provoking quotes about family to help you remember what matters most. Why not pick one to frame and display at home?
Best Quotes About Family To Take To Heart
1. “Let us make one point, that we meet each other with a smile when it is difficult to smile. Smile at each other, make time for each other in your family.” – Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa was an Albanian–Indian nun and a missionary and is recognized by the Catholic Church as a saint. She is also admired by many people around the world for her charitable work and inspiring quotes about family. Her quote simply tells you to smile despite hardships and spend more time with your family. It emphasizes that a strong family bond can help surpass each day’s challenges.
2. “Families are the compass that guides us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights and our comfort when we occasionally falter.” – Brad Henry
Brad Henry is an American lawyer and politician and was the 26th governor of Oklahoma. His quote highlights that your family serves as your main guide in life. They inspire you to achieve your dreams and give you great comfort during low times.
3. “The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.” – Lee Lacocca
Lee Lacocca is an American businessman known for spreading the success of Pinto and Ford Mustang cars. In his quote, Lacocca states family as the main foundation of every person. It does not easily break and has the ability to motivate every member to become a better person.
4. “Everyone needs a house to live in but a supportive family is what builds a home.” – Anthony Liccione
Anthony Liccione is an American author and a poet. He has published books titled “Please Pass Me the Blood & Butter” and “Back Words and Forward.” His quote implies that a house could not be called a home without a family. To have a happy home is to have your family by your side.
5. “When trouble comes, it’s your family that supports you.” – Guy Lafleur
Guy Lafleur is a former Canadian professional ice hockey player. He was known to be the first player who scored 100 points and 50 goals in six consecutive seasons and to have shared several notable quotes about family. His quote is similar to the previous one where a family is the best “support” provider. No other group or organization in the world can provide support in times of trouble, the way your family can.
6. “The family is the first essential cell of human society.” – Pope John XXIII
Pope John XXIII was an Italian Pope from October 1958 to June 1963 and a known advocate for human rights. The Pope is using the biological word “cell” as cells are the “building blocks of life,” which means families create life in the society. After all, a society can’t exist without families to fill it.
7. “There is no doubt that it is around the family and the home that all the greatest virtues, the most dominating virtues of humans, are created, strengthened and maintained.” – Winston Churchill
Winston Churchill was a former British Prime Minister (1940-1945 and 1951-1955) and was also a writer, statesman and army officer. In his quote, he emphasizes that the “greatest virtues” a person can eventually possess, start in the family and are guided by proper parenting. The virtues you grow up will largely affect how you live your life to the fullest.
8. “In every conceivable manner, the family is link to our past, bridge to our future.” – Alex Haley
Alex Haley was an American writer and the author of the book titled “Roots: The Saga of an American Family.” He believes that whatever has happened or will happen in your life, your family was there and will be there for you. They are an important part of your past and a significant influence on your future.
9. “The family is one of nature’s masterpieces.” – George Santayana
George Santayana was a Spanish novelist, poet, essayist and philosopher. Although he was born a Spanish poet, he wrote in English, was considered an American man of letters and shared some inspiring quotes about family. Santayana’s quote is simply what it literally means. Your family is one of the many beautiful things in the world you should be proud of.
10. “You can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles between you but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you.” – Frederick Buechner
Frederick Buechner is an American theologian and writer who has published more than 30 books. His work deals with different genres such as fiction, essays and sermons. His quote denotes a very deep meaning about family. The meaning is evident when a family member is distant but still feels so close because of a deep emotional connection.
11. “As the family goes, so goes the nation and so goes the whole world in which we live.” – Pope John Paul II
John Paul II was a Polish Pope who served from 1978 to 2005. He was known to have visited 129 countries, making him one of the best-traveled world leaders. The Pope’s quote clearly states that the family is the main foundation of the world. If the family collapses, so does the world and if the family rises, the same will also happen to the world.
12. “In time of test, family is best.” – Burmese Proverb
Proverbs of the Burmese language are used to engage insightful conversation, illustrate a point and make persuasive speeches. The proverbs in Myanmar are passed down through generations to preserve the people’s heritage. This quote says it all. There are no other people in the world you can truly rely on in times of challenges like you can rely on your family.
13. “A family is a place where minds come in contact with one another.” – Buddha
Buddha is known around the world for his religious teachings which developed into the foundations of Buddhism as well as his admirable sayings about family. This quote implies that a family thinks as one because they feel as one too. Each member thinks and feels the same way, especially in terms of the family’s welfare.
14. “We must take care of our families wherever we find them.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
Elizabeth Gilbert is an American writer, essayist, novelist, biographer and memoirist. She was known for her memoir “Eat, Pray, Love” published in 2006. Her quote entails a beautiful message about family. A family is not only the people who are related to you by blood but they are also those whom you consider so close, they might as well be. These people may arrive later in our lives but they are always cherished.
15. “When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching — they are your family.” – Jim Butcher
Jim Butcher is an American author best known to have published books such as “The Dresden Files.” In his quote, he states that when everything goes wrong and does not fall into place, your family will always stand by you no matter what. They give you the best comfort in your life.
16. “You don’t choose your family. They are God’s gift to you, as you are to them.” – Desmond Tutu
Desmond Tutu is a South African theologian and Anglican cleric. He is also known as a human rights activist. Tutu wants to express to value your family as they are God’s gift. They also think the same way for you. A gift is something we want and hopes for and this is how we feel towards our family.
17. “Family is not an important thing, it’s everything.” – Michael J. Fox
Michael J. Fox is a famous actor, comedian, author and activist. He is known to have played the role of Marty McFly in the trilogy “Back to the Future.” Fox’s quote is very impactful. His family isn’t just important but they are everything. His quote is a good example of giving maximum value to your family.
18. “Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten.” – David Ogden Stiers
Stiers is a known American voice actor in many Disney animated films. He also excels in live acting and music. His quote is very simple yet meaningful. It is true, no one in the family gets left behind nor forgotten. Each member thinks, loves and cares for the other, even when they’re not with them anymore.
19. “What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family.” – Mother Teresa
This quote from Mother Teresa sounds like a potential answer to a Miss Universe question but she has a point. If we want world peace, we should start loving at home. If every family does this at home, we won’t only achieve world peace but also true happiness, love and comfort.
20. “A happy family is but an earlier heaven.” – George Bernard Shaw
George Bernard Shaw was an Irish playwright, polemist, critic and political activist. He had a huge influence on Western theater, politics and culture which extended to his death and beyond. Many would agree about how a family feels like heaven simply because it’s God’s gift. We may long for an eternal heaven but what we have right now brings heaven a little closer.
21. “The strength of a family, like the strength of an army, is in its loyalty to each other.” – Mario Puzo
Mario Puzo was an American journalist and screenwriter of Italian descent. He was fond of writing novels about the Mafia with the most notable titled “The Godfather.” In terms of family strength, Puzo’s quote says it all. The members of the family are loyal to one another, giving the family a remarkable strength for their future goals.
For more inspirational quotes about family, please watch the video below from Epic Reads:
Do you have some inspiring quotes about family you can share with us? Leave them in the comments section below!
Up Next: How Motherhood Changes You